Part II: Bangkok

Bangkok, the Capital of Thailand, was my first stop in Asia.  I bought a round trip ticket from DC to Bangkok, so I can visit some of my friends before making my way to Bali to meet ICM.  Bangkok was more or less what I imagined it to be, perhaps even more developed than I had originally thought.  Maybe I've lived in "slow paced" DC for too long, because Bangkok was definitely too crowded and too busy for me :)  Even using my Hong Kong standards, I would characterize Bangkok as a very very busy city...there are constantly tons of people, cars, congestion, and wow, a lot of malls.  

I felt particularly self conscious at the malls because all the girls and women there were all so well dressed!  It was super humid and in the high 80/90s when I was there, so I wore t-shirts and shorts whenever possible.  But these women in the mall were wearing nice blouses, skirts, pants, and HIGH HEELS.  There is nothing wrong with wearing high heels of course except most people there walked a lot and rode motorbikes!  And most interesting of all, they had very neat and flawless make up....in weather where I can't even keep myself from pouring sweat and looking rather disgusting.  I really did feel kind of inept...haha.  

Anyhow, the best part of Bangkok for me was seeing old friends I haven't seen for 3+ years.  It was so good seeing Tae and Tom and his family.  Tom and Gaew, thank you for your hospitality and for taking care of me when I was in Bangkok!!! 

Here are some photos:

Can you see it? The Grand Palace is across the river. 
I think this was at the Navy yard across from the Grand Palace
Lotus flower, incense, and a candle for worshiping at the temple in the Grand Palace

I'm not particularly religious but growing up raised with Chinese traditions, I would say that I identify most with Buddhism.  Learning about the different types of religion over the years, I can also say that I agree with Buddhism the most.  And the reason is that, to me, it really isn't a religion, it is more of a philosophy on how we should live life.  I especially agree with the whole concept of karma, it really only seems fair, don't you think?  When I used to live in LA, my family and I would visit the Thai temple often.  We'd bring eggs and oranges, make our offerings, and then enjoy all the authentic Thai food at the food stands on the perimeter of the temple.  Beyond the food (which I loved), there was something peaceful and calming about lighting incense, bringing flowers, and verbalizing (in your head) what you are praying for.  I feel like that process some times made me think more about my priorities and what I really wanted, which was often good health and happiness for my loved ones. 

Here's Tom lighting his incense (above)
The Grand Palace was truly stunning.
Yes, I'll admit this is rather phallic...but it's still a very beautiful statue
My favorite building at the Grand Palace...the interior is breathtaking.  I think this was the temple that houses the Emerald Buddha, which is the most scared Buddha image in Thailand

Of course, visiting Tom also means visiting some badminton courts!!  I got to see the Royal Bangkok Sports Club and the Polo Club.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to play much due to my lack of court shoes, but it was great watching Tom play again!

At the Polo Club

On to the best part, people.  Tae, Tom and his family all used to live in DC but are now back in Thailand.  I know that a lot of time has passed since I've seen them because when they left, Calmy was still a hand held baby, now she's a little girl who wants to carry a purse all the time!

Calmy in her Chinese New Year outfit
At Tom's restaurant, the Orient (since 1981).
Tom and Tae - come visit us in DC!
The ever so witty Gaew

It is strange that I haven't posted any photos of food yet and we're really nearing the end of this post.  But of course, I wouldn't really do that!  Saving the best for last, a dessert photo.  I can't really describe what the dessert on the right is except it's kind of like a fusion between ice and ice cream (let's call it shaved ice cream).  All you really need to know though is that it was SO SO GOOD. 


Next, Part III:  Bali, ahhhhhhh...I miss it.













0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author

Followers