Happy Moon Festival!

Happy Moon Festival aka Mid-Autumn Festival!  The festival takes place every year on the 15th day of the eighth month in the Chinese Calendar every year.  I don't really remember the history of the Moon festival, so it might be best to google if you are interested...hmm...I should study.

Even though I can't tell you how this all started, this is one of my favorite Chinese festivals and celebrations.  I remember walking around the streets when we lived in Hong Kong with our own lanterns. They're like the ones I've photographed but we would always hang them a stick so we can walk around.  The street would be filled with kids with lanterns and other festive decorations.  We also had these colored cellophane paper lanterns that were see through and they'd be in different shapes like a fish or a rooster.  Of course, when people became more "modern" we got lanterns that were essentially blow up plastic toys (like Hello Kitty, Megaman, etc) that would light up and play music when we press the on button.

It's not just the lanterns that make this one of my favorite occasions but really the tradition of having a big meal, hanging lanterns, eating mooncakes (a chinese pastry made specially for this festival), eating fruits, drinking tea, and spending quality time with your family.  It is about togetherness and it is about celebrating the full moon.  Think Thanksgiving...Chinese style!

Of course, it being a big Chinese celebration entitles it to a feast, which my dad cooks every year.   But since I am not home, I had to make up for it with my not-as-great-as-my-dad's cooking and had to hang lanterns myself!!!  ICM missed this two years in a row now!!  But that's okay!!! Next year!  We can hang 20 lanterns :)















































Well, whether or not you celebrate the Moon Festival, I hope you're spending quality time with your loved ones :)

Hmm. What else?  It's been a while since I've posted something from school.  We finished up Introduction to Photography and Composition, and now we're on Digital Workflow and Studio Lighting.  For Studio Lighting last week, the theme was glass.  I brought in a bottle of Izze soda and when I was paying at Starbucks, I saw this mini pink donut that I thought would go great with the soda.  I just really like the colors. This was one of the takes out of the camera...the only adjustment/edit I made was cropping.  So much to learn!
















































 All right.  Have a wonderful week!!!!

P.S.  I am again addicted to old Jay Chou songs. Love love love.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author

Followers