A relaxing weekend and apple rhubarb crisp!

HELLO! This weekend's weather has been kind of cloudy, gloomy, and rainy.  Naturally, all I want to do is sleep.  And I did plenty of that and lounging around.  But luckily for me, I didn't waste my entire weekend away because there are no better pick me ups than a beautiful bouquet of peonies, an awesome roller derby match, and a delicious apple rhubarb crisp.  By now, you might notice my obsession for peonies, and I won't and probably can't deny it.  After finding the light pink ones at Whole Foods, I opportunistically returned on Friday night to get the dark pinkish purple ones!  :) 




When I brought the flowers out to photograph with some natural light, I noticed the weird little lingerie store (that I've never shopped at) that is about to close...


Anyways, a relaxing weekend would not be possible without some kind of awesome food.  ICM came up with the good idea of making an apple rhubarb pie.  I got this Apple Rhubarb Crisp Recipe on line and I will share it here with you!


*Credit of this recipe goes to:  www.dailyunadventuresincooking.com*

APPLE RHUBARB CRISP RECIPE
  1. 1 orange, zested and juiced (remember to remove the seeds)
  2. 4 large apples and diced into cubes (about 6 cups) - you can peel or not peel the apples
  3. 3 cups diced rhubarb - about 3 "spears"
  4. For mixing with apples and rhubarb:
    1. 4 tablespoons flour
    2. 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  5. For the delicious crumbly & crispy topping:
    1. 1 cup of flour
    2. 1 cup of oatmeal
    3. 1/2 cup of brown sugar
    4. 1/2 teaspoon salt
    5. 1 cup of cold butter, diced into small cubes. 
 Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. In a big bowl, combine apples, rhubarb, orange zest and juice.  Sprinkle the flour and cinnamon on top and mix evenly.  Pour this into your baking dish.  We used a 9x9 brownie pan and it worked perfectly.  
  3. In a big bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, salt.  Mix and add cubes of butter.  Use your fingers and mix butter evenly with the dry mix until there are no big chunks left.  
  4. Evenly distribute it over the fruit in the baking dish and press gently.
  5. Place in oven for 30-40 minutes or until it is nice and golden brown on top.
  6. Cool just for a little bit and bon appetit!!!
NOTE:  If rhubarb is unavailable, just substitute in 3 cups of apples and have yourself an Apple Crisp :)


 ***

Signing off now, I hope you're having a wonderful weekend like me :) !


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author

Followers